The 'Overtime Rules' tab of the Admin page is where Overtime Rules can be created and managed to reflect your Organization's and/or State's overtime criteria by Location. From the Overtime Rules listing, Users can view the details of each rule and even create saved Table Views of filtered details for a quick reference.
Once an Overtime Rule is created, it is applied to the Schedule Calendar of the selected Locations, where the total Overtime Hours are displayed for all Employees and displayed in red for individual Employees whose total scheduled hours are outside the criteria set for an Overtime Rule. Additionally, Overtime Rules will be included in the Schedule's Publish Check before being finalized.
Users with the necessary security access can view, create, edit, and delete Overtime Rules. Click here to learn the Security Roles needed for these functions.
Create an Overtime Rule
Overtime Rules can be created by clicking the '+ Create' button in the top, right corner of the Admin page and selecting 'Overtime Rules'. A 'New Overtime Rule Group' modal will appear where details about the Overtime Rule should be entered. Ensure to save the Overtime Rule to apply it to the select Locations' Schedule Calendar.
1) Rule Name - The name of the Overtime Rule
2) Work day begins - The start of the work day, which is used to calculate overtime correctly. Options include:
- At start of shift - This is a placeholder for future enhancements where the daily overtime calculation will begin within the 24 hour period after the Employee's first shift
- Calendar Day - This daily overtime calculation will begin at the start of the Calendar Day
3) Overtime Settings - The way in which overtime is calculated. One or more options can be selected where both hours worked and overtime rate is set (e.g., 1.5 times their hourly pay). Options include:
- Daily - The Employee exceeds a specific total number of hours for a pay week
- Weekly - The Employee exceeds a specific total number of hours in a day
- 7th Day Consecutive - The Employee works all seven days during a pay week
4) Search Locations - This box enables the User to search for and select the Locations that will use this Overtime Rule. When selected, Locations will then appear in the Applied Locations box. Learn how to add Locations to the 'Applied Locations' box below
5) Applied Locations - A listing of all Locations that have this rule applied to their Schedule Calendar. Locations can be removed from this box by following the directions below
6) Create - This will save the Overtime Rule and add it to the Overtime Rules list on the 'Overtime Rules' tab
7) Help Menu - This will open the Help Menu, which lists multiple resources that can assist in creating an Overtime Rule
8) Full Screen - This will expand the modal to full screen. Clicking the minimize icon in its place will return the modal back to its original size
9) Close - This will close the modal without saving
All Locations that utilize this rule will need to have it selected from the 'Search Locations' box and added to the 'Applied Locations' box. Locations can be added in three ways:
- Add All - Users can click the '+ Apply All (x)' button to add all available Locations
Edit an Overtime Rule
To edit an Overtime Rule, simply double-click the desired Overtime Rule. The rule's details will then open in a sidesheet.
Users have the option to either update the listed fields and save the rule or delete the rule entirely. The option to 'Save' and 'Delete' will be listed in the top, right corner or the sidesheet.
Employees can be marked as exempt from Overtime hours and/or pay calculations so that Scheduling and Forecasting are not skewed for certain Employees, such as Salaried Employees.
To do so, navigate to and open the desired Employee form(s) from the Employees listing. When the form opens, select one or more of the 'Exclusion' checkboxes under 'Employee Settings' on the 'General' tab:
- Exclude Labor Hours- This will exclude Labor Hours or Labor $ on the Employee's time card
- Note: If this is selected, then both Exclude OT and Exclude Labor $ will be selected by default
- Exclude OT - This will ensure that the Employee does not receive any Overtime pay on their time card for any hours worked beyond the time frame set for OT Rule Group(s), if set. If not set, this will default OT to over 40 hours a week
- Exclude Labor $ - This will display the total Labor Hours for the Employee but the Employee's Labor $ will not impact the total Labor $ for their corresponding Location(s)
When the necessary checkboxes are selected, ensure to save the Employee forms(s).