The 'Break Rules' tab of the Admin page is where Break Rules can be set up to ensure that each selected Location complies with any company policies and/or local laws for Employee Breaks. From the Break Rules listing, Users can view the details of each Rule.
Once Break Rules are created, they are applied to the Schedule Calendar. If an Employee's scheduled hours exceed the Break Rules set for their Location, the Employee's total labor hours will be reduced by the total break minutes per day and/or per shift, depending on the Rule configuration. The total labor hours for the Employee and all Employees for the week will then be updated to show a more accurate prediction of total labor hours.
If 'Break and Split Penalties' is enabled, penalties associated with violations of the Break Rules can be configured. These penalties are then represented on the Schedule Calendar and Labor Reporting.
This article reviews:
Create a Break Rule
Break Rules can be created by clicking the '+ Create' button in the top, right corner of the Admin page and selecting 'Break Rules'.
This will open the 'New Break Rule' sidesheet where rule details can be entered and saved. When saved, the Break Rule will be applied to the selected Locations' Schedule Calendar.
- Per Shift - The Employee exceeds a specific total number of hours in a shift
- Per Day - The Employee exceeds a specific total number of hours in a day
5) Create Another - When checked, a new rule will open when 'Create' (#6) is clicked
6) Create - This will save the Break Rule and add it to the Break Rules list on the 'Break Rules' tab
7) Help Menu - This will open the Help Menu, which lists multiple resources that can assist in creating a Break Rule
8) Full Screen - This will expand the modal to full screen. Clicking the minimize icon in its place will return the modal back to its original size
9) Close - This will close the modal without saving
Users have the option to either update the listed fields and save the rule or delete the rule entirely. The option to 'Save' and 'Delete' will be listed in the top, right corner or the sidesheet.
Break Penalty Rules
If 'Break and Split Penalties' is enabled, the Penalties subtab is added to the Break Rule sidesheet. Here, penalties associated with violations of the Break Rules can be configured.
1) Minimum Wage - Minimum wage to use when calculating rule violation penalties.
2) Max Penalties Per Day - Maximum number of penalties a single Employee can be awarded within a single business day.
3) Shift - Maximum number of minutes worked without a break if the Employee does not have a signed waiver.
4) Shift (waiver) - Maximum number of minutes worked without a break if the Employee does have a signed waiver.
5) Break Minutes - Minimum number of break minutes needed to satisfy the break requirement.
6) Min Threshold - Minimum number of minutes worked before a break is taken. Breaks taken before this threshold will not satisfy the break requirement.
7) Max Threshold - Maximum number of minutes worked before a break is taken. Breaks taken after this threshold will not satisfy the break requirement.
8) Penalty Minutes - Number of minutes applied as the penalty for a rule violation
9 ) Pay Rate - Rate paid for penalty minutes
- Regular Wage - The rate the Employee is paid for the Job worked
- Minimum Wage - The minimum wage entered in the Rule Group settings (#1)
10) Delete - Click the trashcan icon to delete the Break Penalty Rule
11) Edit - Click the pencil icon to edit the Break Penalty Rule
12) + Add Shift - Click to add a new Break Penalty Rule
- Note: Multiple Break Penalty Rules can be created, as long as the shift minutes value (#2) is greater than the shift minutes value of the previous Break Penalty Rule.