This article covers the Employees page for the Workforce Module. If Workforce is not enabled, please refer to the documentation for the Smart Ops Employees Page.
The Employees page is where all active and inactive Employees are listed. Here, Users can review Employee details, add new Employees, grant Employees app access, change Employee active status, and Onboard Employees to Payroll.
The Employee Record for each Employee can be opened in a sidesheet on this page. Learn more about the Workforce Employee Record here.
- Note: If Workforce is not enabled, please refer to the documentation for the Smart Ops Employee Record.
After an Employee Record has been created for a new Employee, they must be Onboarded to Payroll before direct deposit, signed documents, or tax information can be completed. Learn more about Onboarding Employees to Payroll here.
- Managing Employee Records for New Employees
- Employees Grid
- Bulk Edit
- Employee Record Sidesheet
- Adding Employees
Managing Employee Records for New Employees
The Permissions listed here are associated with the Employees page. These Permissions can be added to Custom User Roles or single Users. Learn more about managing Permissions and Custom User Roles here.
Employees page Permissions are found in the Permission Tree as follows:
- View Employees
- Note: Users without this Permission will not be able to access the Employees page
- Edit Employees
- Can Grant/Remove Employee’s App Access in R365
- Create Employees
- Merge Employees
- Delete Employees
- Basic Info
- View Onboarding Status
- View Employees
- Add to Payroll
- Exclude from Payroll
- View Exclude from Payroll
- View Exclude from Payroll
Note: Users will only see employees who are associated with the locations that the user has access to. Employees who are not associated with any locations will be displayed for all users.
The Employees page is found under 'Team' in the 'Workforce' navigation menu.
- Note: The Employees page is also accessible from Smart Ops.
The Employees Grid displays all active and inactive Employee Records. Clicking on a row will open the associated Employee Record in a sidesheet.
The Employees Grid has three quick filters at the top of the grid:
Click 'Recently Hired' to filter the Employees Grid for all Employees whose hire date is in the last 14 days.
Click 'Currently Onboarding' to filter the Employees Grid for only Employees with the 'Payroll Status' of 'Onboarding'
Active in Payroll
Click 'Active in Payroll' to filter the Employees Grid for all Employees who have completed their Payroll Onboarding for one or more Legal Entities.
The Employee grid has the following columns:
- Name - First Name and Last Name of the Employee
- EmployeeID- Payroll Employee ID
- Note: This ID is system-generated and cannot be edited.
- Note: This ID is system-generated and cannot be edited.
- Email - Personal email address of the Employee
- Status- The employment status of the Employee
- - The Employee is actively employed
- - The Employee has been separated from all legal entities and is no longer employed
- - The Employee is on a leave of absence
- App Access - Indicates if the Employee has been granted access to their personal R365 account to review Payroll and Scheduling information
- Primary Location - Lists the Location associated with the Employee's Primary Job
- Payroll Status- The Employee's status within the R365 Payroll. See the Payroll Statuses list below for additional details.
- Jobs - Lists all Jobs assigned to the Employee
- Departments - Lists all Departments associated with Jobs assigned to the Employee
- Employee ID - System-generated unique ID for the Employee
- User ID - System-generated ID of the User Record linked to the Employee Record
- Primary Location ID - Location ID for the Location associated with the Employee's Primary Job
- Address 1 - First line of the Employee's address
- Address 2 - Second line of the Employee's address
- City - City for the Employee's address
- State - State for the Employee's address
- Zip - Postal Zip Code for the Employee's address
- Phone Number - Employee's 'Personal Phone Number' from their 'Basic Info' tab
- Legacy Employee ID - The Employee's Employee ID used in past payroll systems
- Legacy Payroll ID - The Employee's Payroll ID used in past payroll systems
- Birth Date - Employee's 'Birthday' from their 'Basic Info' tab
- Created By - User who created the Employee Record
- Created On - Date Employee Record was created
- Modified By - User who last modified the Employee Record
- Modified On - Date Employee Record was last modified
Working with Smart Grids
From the Employee grid, Users can perform the following actions:
- - Search the list for specific keywords
- - Save/edit Table Views
- - Filter column information
- - Rearrange table columns
- - Export the table to a .csv file
- - Refresh the table
Learn more about working with Smart Grids here.
The following statuses are displayed in the 'Payroll Status' column and indicate the Employee's status for Payroll. These statuses do not impact the Employee's availability for Scheduling.
|Status||Definition and Notes|
|All of the Employee's Jobs are not associated with Locations associated with a Legal Entities enabled for Payroll.|
Note: Employees with this status cannot be Onboarded to Payroll. The 'Onboard' action button will not be displayed on their Employee Record.
|The Employee has not been Onboarded to Payroll and requires attention before they will be included in Payroll Runs. The Employee will be available for scheduling.|
Best Practice: All Employees should either be Onboarded to Payroll or explicitly excluded from Payroll
Onboarding an Employee to Payroll will change their status to ‘Onboarding’. Once Onboarding is completed, this Employee will be included in Payroll Runs
Excluding an Employee will change their status to ‘Excluded’. Excluded Employees will not be included in Payroll Runs
|The Employee has been Onboarded to Payroll for all Legal Entities on their Employee Record and is in the process of completing their Onboarding.|
Note: Once the Employee completes the Onboarding steps through the Employee Self-Service Portal, their status will change to ‘Active' and they will be included in Payroll Runs
|The first number indicates the number of legal entities associated with payroll companies where the employee has been onboarded.|
The second number indicated the total number of legal entities associated with payroll companies on the Employee’s Employee Record.
Note: This status is only displayed for Employees who work at Locations associated with more than one Legal Entity where they have been ‘Onboarded to Payroll’ for some, but not all, of the Legal Entities present on their Employee Record.
Note: This status does not indicate if the Employee is currently completing Onboarding.
|The Employee is Onboarded to Payroll for all Legal Entities present on their Employee Record and they will be included in Payroll Runs for all Legal Entities on their Employee Record.|
|The Employee has been separated from all Payroll Companies associated with the Legal Entities on their Employee Record.|
|The Employee is excluded from Payroll and will not be included in any Payroll Runs|
Note: This status is frequently used for fictitious 'Employees' brought in with POS data. Fictitious 'Employees' may include shared drawers or an 'Employee' created for third-party delivery apps.
Selecting one or more Employees will open the Bulk Edit menu. From this menu, the following actions can be applied to all of the selected Employees:
This will combine the selected Employee Records into a single Employee Record. Learn more about Merging Employees within Workforce here.
- Note: Only one Employee Record that has been Onboarded to Payroll can be included in the merge. If more than one of the selected Employee Records has been Onboarded to Payroll, the merge will be halted.
Add App Access
This will send an invite email to the Employee's email address to create their account and access the R365 Mobile App.
- Note: App Access is required to add an Employee to Payroll. Without App Access, the Employee will not be able to access the Employee Self-Service Portal.
Learn more about Employee App Access here.
Remove App Access
This will remove the Employee's access to the R365 Mobile App.
- Note: If the Employee has been Onboarded to Payroll, this will also remove their ability to access the Employee Self-Service Portal.
This will mark the Employee as 'Inactive', and they will no longer have access to the system. If an Employee has been assigned to any future or unpublished shifts, marking that Employee as 'Inactive' will undo the assignment, and the shifts will be updated to 'Unassigned'.
This will mark the Employee as 'Active', and they will have access to the system and be available in the Scheduling module.
Add to Payroll
This will add the Employee to Payroll. Only Employees Onboarded to Payroll can be paid through R365 Payroll.
Adding an Employee to Payroll will activate the Payroll-specific tabs on the Employee Record and send an invite to the Employee to begin the Onboarding process, including setting up tax information and direct deposit.
Learn more about adding Employees to Payroll here.
Follow these steps to edit Employees in bulk:
- Click the bulk select checkboxes next to the desired Employees. This will open the bulk edit menu at the bottom of the screen
- Click the merge iconto merge the selected Employee Records. Learn more about Merging Employees within Workforce here.
Click the menu icon to view additional actions
- Select the desired action from the drop-down menu
Employee Record Sidesheet
The Employee Record sidesheet contains details for the Employee. Here, Users can review and edit an Employee's details. Learn more about the R365 Payroll Employee Record here.
New Employee Records can be created in the following ways:
Clicking the button will open a blank Employee Record sidesheet where the Employee's information can be entered. This option should be utilized to create Employee Records during the onboarding process, before the Employee starts work.
- Note: If the Hire module is enabled, Employee Records will be automatically created when the Employee is hired.
Refer to the 'R365 Payroll New Employee Onboarding' and 'R365 Payroll Creating Employee Records' articles to learn more.
Automatically from the Hire Module
If the Hire module is enabled, the Employee Record will be automatically created when the Employee is hired. Learn more about Employee Records created from the Hire module here.
Automatically from the POS
For information about the general process for adding Employees, please see the Workforce New Employee Checklist.