The Payment Runs page lists all Payment Runs created in your database. From this easy-to-view grid, Users can determine right away which Payment Runs need to be updated, finalized, and sent to the necessary Vendors. Users can even click into and update Payment Runs directly from this page.
The grid will initially be filtered to display Payment Runs with a status of 'Payments Created' or 'Payments Processed', but this filter can be easily removed and/or saved views of the grid can be created to make review that much easier.
This article reviews the following:
- Payment Run Approvals
- Payment Runs Grid
- Payment Run Statuses
- Payment Run Sidesheet
- Review and Approve a Payment Run
- Create Payments for an Approved Payment Run
- Note: In order for Users with the Primary Security Role of 'Accounting Clerk' to create Payments and print checks, the Secondary Security Role of 'Pay Check Run' must be given to the User.
The 'Pay Check Run' Security Role grants Users access to the 'Create Checks' prompt on the Check Run (this prompt is not accessible for Accounting Clerks by default). This will allow the Accounting Clerk to create Payments via the Check Run. They will be able to print checks, export ACH etc. This role gives full access to the Check Run.
Open the Payment Runs page by clicking 'Payment Runs' under 'Accounts Payable' in the Accounting module.
Payment Run Approvals
Payment Run Approvals is an optional feature that can be enabled on request. When Payment Run Approvals is enabled, the layout of the Payment Runs page is modified to group 'Unapproved' and 'Approved' Payment Runs in a separate section at the top of the page. This layout makes identifying Payment Runs that require attention easier and faster.
Learn more about Payment Run Approvals here.
To enable Payment Run Approvals, please contact your R365 Support.
Payment Runs Grid
Users can view Payment Runs with payments created by default or can remove the default filter to view all Payment Runs, regardless of status. To view a Payment Run, click the desired run in the listing.
1) Search Bar - This will search the listing for the characters entered in this field
2) Table Views - This enables the User to create and edit saved views of this list. Simply click this icon and then either 'Save Current View' to save the new view or 'Edit Table Views' to edit the selected saved view. All saved views are listed above these two action buttons
3) Filter - This allows the User to create a filter for the table. Click this filter icon to open the 'Filter Columns' modal. Once open, click '+ Add Filter' to select the Column and Filter types and then select the Value that should be filtered. Select the 'Apply' button to filter the table for the information entered or click the trash can icon to remove a filter
- Note: The table will have a default filter set, which can be removed to view all Payment Runs
4) Columns - This lists all of the columns available to display in the Payment Runs list. Check or uncheck a column name to include or exclude it, respectively, in the list. Columns can also be recognized by dragging and dropping the desired column's rearrange iconwhere needed
5) Export - This will download the listed information into a .csv file
6) Refresh - This will refresh the listing
7) Payment Run - The name of the Payment Run
8) Status - The status of the Payment Run. Statuses include:
- Draft - The Payment Run is saved and needs to be submitted
- Unapproved - The Payment Run will need to be approved or modified
- Approved - The Payment can either be unapproved and updated or have payments made
- Payments Created- The payments within the Payment Run were created and are waiting to be processed. Processing payments includes:
- Printing Checks
- Processing and sending to Vendor by the R365 Payments Team (if R365 Payments is enabled)
- Payments Processed- The payments within the Payment Run were processed.
- Note: By default, the grid will be filtered to a 'Payments Created' or 'Payments Processed' status. Remove this filter via the 'Filter Columns' modal (#3)
9) Payment Date - The default payment date for AP Payments created on this Payment Run
10) Total Amount - The total amount of all AP Payments created on this Payment Run
11) Bank Account - The bank account that will be used to record all AP Payments on this Payment Run
12) Location - The Location tied to this Payment Run
Payment Run Statuses
The status of a Payment Run helps to determine at what stage in the approval and payment creation process a Payment Run is listed. Based on this status, certain actions are required to complete the Payment Run process.
Payment Run Sidesheet
When a Payment Run is opened, the following details will be listed.
1) Payment Run - The name of the Payment Run
2) Status - The status of the Payment Run. Statuses include:
- Payments Created
- Payments Processed
- Note: Click here for more details on the Payment Run process and its associated statuses
3) Save - This will save any changes made to the Payment Run
4) Approve / Unapprove - This will either approve or unapprove the Payment Run, depending on its status. If unapproved, additional changes can be made
5) Create Payments - This will be displayed for approved Payment Runs so that Users can create payments for the selected invoices. Click here to learn how to create payments, including R365 Payments, if enabled for your database
6) Payments to Be Paid - The number of payments to be paid, based on the selections made to the invoices below
7) Invoices Included / Excluded - This will display two data points:
- Invoices - The number of invoices included, or toggled on, in this Payment Run
- Excluded - The number of invoices excluded, or toggled off, in this Payment Run
8) Payment Run Total - The total amount of the Payment Run for all invoices toggled on
9) Balances Before / After - This will display two data points:
- Balance Before - The current balance in the Payment Run's bank account
- Balance After - The balance in the Payment Run's bank account after subtracting the Payment Run Total amount
10) Bank Account - The name and number of the Payment Run's bank account
11) Location - The Location assigned to the Payment Run
12) Date - The date of the Payment
13) Payment Run Note - An optional Payment Run note that can be viewed by any Users with access to the Payment Run. This field can contain up to 2500 characters
14) Vendor Drop-Down - This lists all Vendors from the Payment Run's invoices. Users can click this field and filter for specific Vendors to aid in completing and/or approving the Payment Run
15) Filtered Total - The total amount of the Payment Run for all invoices toggled on
16) Vendor Toggle - This will either include or exclude the Vendor and its invoices from the Payment Run when toggled on or off, respectively
17) Vendor - The name of the Vendor. A number will be displayed next to this to show how many invoices are included for this Vendor. The entire Vendor can be toggled off using the Vendor toggle (#16) or individual invoices can be toggled off using the Invoice toggle (#19) as needed. The invoices tied to each Vendor can be summarized by clicking the Vendor name
18) Vendor Total - The total amount of the invoices toggled on for this Vendor
19) Invoice Toggle - This will either include or exclude the invoice from the Payment Run when toggled on or off, respectively
20) Invoice - The invoice number for the corresponding invoice and its priority status, if selected on the invoice. This will be hyperlinked to its invoice and will open in a new window when clicked for further review
21) Due Date - The date this payment is due
22) Payment Date - The date this payment was made
23) Location - The Location associated with the payments
24) Comments - The comments from the invoice comments field. If the 'Payment Hold' toggle is enabled, it will also be displayed here for reference
25) Payment Total - The total amount of the invoice and the Payment Method set on the Vendor record
26) Close - This will close the sidesheet without saving
Review and Approve a Payment Run
Complete the following steps to review and approve a Payment Run:
Step 1: Identifying Unapproved Payment Runs
To start the approval process, Payment Runs that are 'Unapproved' will need to be singled out. If Payment Run Approvals is enabled, 'Unapproved' Payment Runs will be grouped in the 'Pending' section of the Payment Runs page. If Payment Run Approvals is not enabled, the Payment Run Grid can be filtered to show the 'Unapproved' Payment Runs.
If Payment Run Approvals is enabled, 'Unapproved' Payment Runs will be grouped in the 'Pending' section of the Payment Runs page. Click on 'Details' to open the Payment Run sidesheet and view its details.
Payment Run Grid
To view 'Unapproved' Payment Runs in the Payment Runs grid, filter the grid for 'Unapproved' Payment Runs using the 'Filter' option in the top right corner above the grid. Click the 'Unapproved' Payment Run to open the sidesheet and view its details.
Step 2: Review the Payment Run Header
Review the details in the header, including the bank account, Location, and any notes already provided. If any of these details are inaccurate, return to the Payment/Check Run screen, select this Payment Run, make the necessary edits, and re-submit the Payment Run.
Note: The amounts and data points listed in this header will update as the Payment Run is updated.
Step 3: Include / Exclude Invoices or Vendors
Below the Payment Run header, the 'Invoices by Vendor' section will be listed. Users can filter for specific Vendors via the Vendor drop-down (#1) or can scroll down the section to view all invoices listed by Vendor.
Review the invoices and their priority status (#4) listed to see what invoices should be paid now. Users can even click into the invoice number listed to view the details of each invoice in more depth. The toggle next to each invoice (#3) can either be toggled on (blue) or off (gray) if the corresponding invoice should be included or excluded, respectively. If an entire Vendor should be included or excluded, its Vendor toggle (#2) should either be toggled on (blue) or off (gray), respectively.
- Important Note: Invoices that are toggled off (gray) will not be included in the payment when payments are created for this Payment Run.
As updates are made to the Payment Run, the Total (#5) and the Filtered Total (#6) will update their amounts, along with the information listed in the header.
Step 4: Approve the Payment Run
Once all updates are completed, click the 'Approve' button in the top ribbon of the Payment Run. This Payment Run will then be ready for payments to be created.
Create Payments for an Approved Payment Run
Users can create Payments for a Payment Run by opening the desired Payment Run sidesheet from the Payment Runs page and clicking 'Create Payments'. This will then open the Payment Run in a new window where the User can create Payments, including R365 Payments (if enabled for your database).
It is important to note that invoices that are toggled off (gray) will not be included in the Payment Run when Payments are created. In addition, these Payments will be removed from the Payment Run when Payments are created.
Payments that are not printed checks, Export ACH, or R365 Payments will have the status of 'Payments Created' listed until they are processed.