A Purchase Order can be created either manually or from a template with a pre-defined set of terms arranged in a specific order. Once created, the quantities to order from a Vendor can either be suggested by R365 or manually entered as needed.
Click here for a printable guide on Purchase Orders.
Create a Purchase Order
To create a new Purchase Order, navigate to the Purchase Order listing, and on either the 'Orders' tab or the 'Templates' tab, click the '+ Create' button in the top, right corner above the listing and select 'Purchase Order'.
This will open the New Purchase Order modal.
Enter a Purchase Order
A Purchase Order can be entered from either a newly-created Purchase Order form or by clicking into a scheduled Purchase Order Template displayed on the 'Orders' tab of the Orders page.
From this New Purchase Order modal, enter in the necessary details and then ensure to save the modal.
1) 'General Information' Tab - This tab contains all Purchase Order details
2) 'Attachment' Tab - This tab is a placeholder for future enhancements
3) Template Selector - This is where a Purchase Order Template can be selected
4) PO Number - This number is auto-generated based on the settings in the Autonumbering section of the Administration menu in the Accounting module. For each new PO, the previous PO Number is aggregated by 1 and can be edited as needed. Duplicate PO numbers are not allowed
5) Location - A listing of all Locations, where the User selects the Location that will receive the order. This field is set to list the default Location but can be easily updated as needed. Click the Source Linknext to the selected Location to open its Location record
6) Vendor - A listing of all Vendors, where the User selects the Vendor that will receive an email with the Purchase Order. Click the Source Linknext to the selected Vendor to open its Vendor record
7) Order Date - The date that the order is placed. This is defaulted to today's date but can be updated by clicking the calendar icon
8) Delivery Date - The date the order is expected to arrive at the selected Location. This is defaulted to tomorrow's date but can be updated by clicking the calendar icon
9) Comment - This field provides the space for any notes about the Purchase Order. These comments will appear on the Purchase Order when it is sent to the Vendor.
10) Address - This is auto-filled based on the Location's address entered on its Location record. This can be easily updated if needed by clicking 'Change' in the top, right corner of this box
11) 'Details' Tab - This tab is where all Vendor items for this order can be selected and quantities can be entered for review
12) 'Review' Tab - This tab is where the Reviewer will be able to see any discrepancy in quantities and finalize the order. Click here to learn how to review a Purchase Order
13) Search Bar - This will search the Vendor Items listing for the characters entered
14) '+ Add Item' Button - This enables the User to search for and add an item to the list. Learn more about this below
15) '+ Primary Items' Button - This will add all Vendor Items marked as 'Primary' for this Vendor
16) '+ All Vendor Items' Button - This will add all Vendor Items for this Vendor
17) 'Suggest Qty' Button - This button will run a built-in algorithm to determine the quantity of each item in the order below it. When selected, a modal will first be displayed asking the User to selected the Consumption and Buffer Days before recommending the Suggested Quantity. Applying the Suggested Quantity will then allow the User to hover over the quantity suggested to view the details of the calculation in a tool tip
- Note: Suggestions require the following before giving an accurate quantity:
- Inventory Counts at least 45 days apart
- Forecasted Sales for all Consumption/Buffer Days chosen
- Approved invoices and transfers between counts
18) Total - This will display the total dollar value for the Purchase Order
19) Save - This will save the template and add it to the 'Templates' tab
20) Help Menu - This will open the Help Menu, which lists multiple resources that will
21) Expand - This will expand the modal to full screen
22) Close - This will close the modal without saving any changes made
Add Vendor Items
Once a Vendor is selected, the '+ Add Item' button will be enabled.
To add items to the order, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the 'Items' grid
- Click the '+ Add Item' button. A line will appear where details can be entered about an item
- Enter in the name of the item in the 'Item' selector field
- Select the desired item from the drop-down listing that appears
- Once an item is added, details about the item will auto-populate the boxes in the line. The majority of these fields can be updated if needed
- Enter in the quantity of the item and then add more items if needed. Users can add items by either:
- Clicking the '+ Add Item' button
- Hitting 'Enter' on their keyboard
Users can easily navigate between boxes by hitting 'Tab' on their keyboard. If all items are added and then the quantity fields are updated, Users can enter a quantity and then click 'Enter' to navigate down the 'Quantity' row. This functionality will work on other columns as well.
Once the order is complete, ensure to save the details.
Submit Without Review
Orders that have been initially saved will have a 'Submit' button present, as shown below. Users with the correct security access can then submit the order without review, unless told otherwise by your Restaurant Management Team. Click here to view the security access needed for this feature.
It is extremely valuable to have two sets of eyes on a Purchase Order before submitting it to a Vendor, but Purchase Orders can be submitted after they are initially saved. A Purchase Order can be submitted either with or without sending the Vender the Purchase Order via email:
- Submitting the Order and Sending the PO - To send an email with the PO to the email address entered on the Vendor record, click the 'Submit' button in the header
- Submitting the Order Without Sending the PO -To update the PO's status without sending the PO via email to the Vendor, click the Status drop-down selector in the header and select 'Submit'