The Actual vs Theoretical Analysis shows Actual vs Theoretical numbers in terms of both Quantities and Dollars. The User can drill down into the transactions that make up the numbers as well as roll up summary info by Category for a Controllable Cost of Goods approach to analysis.
Overall, this report provides a deeper dive into the quantity and cost of each menu item to find solutions to limit the biggest item variances. Click here for guidance on Troubleshooting Variances in an AvT Report and here for learning how to email, export, or print this report. To watch a video explaining the benefit of running the AvT Analysis report for your Organization, view Tip #5 of R365's 'Back to School' Tips & Tricks.
The Actual vs Theoretical Analysis report is not intended to tie back perfectly to the Stock Count/Financials. This report uses one static Unit Cost for an item for the period, rounds Recipe conversions, and does not include any purchases made outside of the AP module, such as Paid Outs, among other examples.
The main purpose of this report is to provide quantities and approximate costs of each item so that the largest variances can be addressed and reduced. From here, Item records and transactions can be dug into to view the specific details of each cost. Click here to help align the AvT and P&L reports.
To navigate to the Actual vs Theoretical Analysis Report, click 'My Reports' under 'Reports' in the left pane and then select 'Purch. & Inv.' in the top header of the reporting window. A listing of all reports will then be displayed.
Find 'Actual vs Theoretical Analysis' and select 'Customize' next to the report. This will open up a listing of all Report Parameters that can be used to define the report.
1) Count From Date - A listing of all stock counts
2) Count To Date - A listing of all stock counts on and after the previously selected stock count
3) Key Items Only - This option will run the report for either only the items flagged as key items or for all items
4) Show Unapproved - This option either shows or hides unapproved Transactions. The 'Yes' option is recommended so that the Accounting staff can close the period at their discretion but operations can still run vital reports in real time without waiting for all transactions to be Approved
5) Count Time - 'Beginning of Day' will use transactions from the DAY OF the from count to the day BEFORE the to count. 'End of Day' will use data from the day AFTER the from count through the DAY OF the to count
6) Item Categories - These fields will filter the items by Item Categories
7) Subtotal by - This will sort and subtotal Item Categories. The 'Categories 1+2' option is recommended
8) Show % of Sales - This option turns on and off the final 3 columns (Actual %; Theo %; and Variance %)
9) Sales Account - This option filters in / out certain Sales Accounts depending on the data desired
10) Subtotal by Category - 'Summary' will roll all numbers into just the category totals (Meat vs Dairy vs Produce for example) while 'Detailed' will show all of the items in each category as well as category subtotals – the Summary option can be a good starting place to know which category to drill into to troubleshoot further
11) Efficiency - This can be calculated using Waste or Not Using Waste in the percentage calculation
12) Actual Usage Dollar - This allows for one of the following costs to be included on the report:
- Transaction Cost - This will pull the actual Item's cost from the transaction selected (Stock Count)
- Unit Cost - This will pull the Item's current Inventory Cost from the Item record as of the time the report was ran. If Item Locations are used, this will then pull from the Store's Item Location
- End Count Cost - This will pull the cost of all items from the ending Stock Count used for this report
13) Waste Calculations - This option either shows or hides all inventory that was documented in the Waste Count
14) Items To Display - This option includes all Purchased Items or just the Stock Count items
15) Run Button - Runs the report
1) Net Sales - The total Net Sales from all menu items
2) Operating Reporting Category - A listing of all Operating Reporting Categories broken down into Item Categories and then into Items
3) Count U of M - The Unit of Measure used for each item when conducting a stock count
4) Unit Cost - The cost of each U of M
5) Begin - The beginning quantity of each item in the first stock count
6) Purch - The amount of each item that was purchased
7) Trnsfer - The amount of each time that was transferred to / from that Location
8) End - The ending quantity of each item in the last stock count
9) Actual - The actual item amount used. The Beginning Amount (#5), Purchased Amount (#6), Transfer Amount (#7), and End Amount (#8) are all included in the actual amount and are only displayed when expanded
10) Theo - The theoretical item amount used
11) Var - The difference between the theoretical amount (#10) and the actual amount (#9) used
12) Waste - The amount of an item that was wasted. This column is only displayed when the 'Show Waste Calculations' is selected in the report parameters
13) UnExpl Var - The difference between the Variance (#11) and the Waste (#12). This column is helpful in analyzing why certain items have the biggest variances
14) Effcy - The theoretical quantity (#10) over the actual quantity (#9) used. This shows how efficiently this item is being used
15) Actual - The actual cost of the item. When expanded, the Beginning Cost, the Purchased Cost, the Transfer Cost, and the Ending Cost would also be displayed
16) Theo - The theoretical cost of the item
17) Var - The difference between the theoretical cost (#16) and the actual cost (#15) of an item
18) Waste - The cost of how much of an item that was wasted. This column is only displayed when the 'Show Waste Calculations' is selected in the report parameters
19) UnExpl Var - The difference between the Variance (#17) and the Waste (#18). This column is helpful in analyzing why certain items have the biggest variances
20) Effcy - The theoretical cost (#16) over the actual cost (#15) of an item. This shows how efficiently this item is being used
21) Actl % - The percentage of Actual Sales. This column is only displayed when 'Yes' is selected on the 'Show % of Sales' report parameter
22) Theo % - The percentage of Theoretical Sales. This column is only displayed when 'Yes' is selected on the 'Show % of Sales' report parameter
23) Var % - The difference between the theoretical percentage (#22) and the actual percentage (#21) of Sales. This column is only displayed when 'Yes' is selected on the 'Show % of Sales' report parameter
Email, Export, or Print the Report
This report can be emailed, exported, or printed in custom formatting directly from the reporting window. Click here to learn how to send, export, or print this report.