The Commissary Module in Restaurant365 makes it easy for Restaurant Locations to create and submit Commissary Orders to a designated Commissary, and for that Commissary Location to review and fulfill those Commissary Orders. Additionally, there are three Commissary-specific reports found in My Reports, under the Commissary section.
In order to utilize the Commissary Module it must be activated, if you are interested in activating Commissary please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will follow up with you.
Commissary Order Flow
- An Accounting User assigns (or creates a new Location Record for the Commissary, then assigns) a Commissary Location on each Restaurant Location. This will be the Commissary that the Location orders from
- A Commissary Manager performs a one-time setup of identifying which items in the system are Commissary Items
- A Commissary Manager performs a one-time setup of the Order Template, which Locations get deliveries on which days, and if Location Managers should receive alerts when cutoff time is approaching if their Commissary Order hasn’t been submitted
- The Commissary Module automatically generates the weekly order forms (which needs to be filled out, completed, and submitted to the Commissary) for the Restaurant Locations based on the settings entered in the Commissary Order Template
- Restaurant Managers fill out their Commissary Orders on appropriate days and submit them
- The Commissary then reviews orders, makes updates if needed, prints consolidated production list as well as packing slip/pick ticket if desired, and when the orders are fulfilled they mark this on the Mass Fulfillment window (including updating quantities if the orders weren’t fulfilled in full)
- Marking orders as Fulfilled creates a Fulfillment Transaction which records the sale from the Commissary and hits the Cost accounts at the purchasing Location in the General Ledger. If these are owned by separate Legal Entities (most common) then this also automatically creates an intercompany due to/from transaction which will track in the GL how much is owed to the Commissary by the other Legal Entities
- A Bank Transfer is entered by an Accounting User from the purchasing Location Checking account to the Commissary which relieves the due to/from balance. This is usually done monthly but can be done at any time.
- Analytical reports can be run by the Commissary to review order history or perform forecasting
Security for this module is very simple. Once the module is activated by Restaurant365 staff, then it can be accessed by users with the following roles: Commissary Manager, Accounting Manager, or Restaurant Manager. Click here for training on assigning security roles
Commissary Manager and Accounting Manager roles both provide full access to all commissary features. Restaurant Manager role allows for Commissary Order entry and to review Fulfillment Transactions.
Commissary features are located under Operations - Commissary in the left hand navigation pane.
Only Purchased Items marked as Commissary Items will be available in the Commissary Module. Click here for information on how to create Purchased Items. To mark an item as a Commissary Item perform the following:
1. Open the Purchased Item Record (Operations - Inventory - Items in left hand navigation) and click the Commissary Item check box on the General tab. Doing so will set the Sales tab to visible where additional information will be required
2. In addition to the required fields on the Purchased Item Record, when a Purchased Item is marked as a Commissary Item, the information found on the Sales tab must be completed
1) Selling U of M - the U of M value selected here will be the Selling Unit of Measure when this item is sold from the Commissary
2) Sales Account - Select the Sales Account where the sale amount is credited for this Commissary Item
3) Price (selling) - The amount the item will be sold for
4) Taxable checkbox - Check this checkbox if the Commissary Item is taxable
5) Commissary Category - Select the Commissary Category for this Commissary Item. If no Commissary Categories have been created, click on the 'Commissary Category' hyperlink to create a new Commissary Category and assign it to the Commissary Item
Users with the Accounting Managers security role can create Locations using the Setup Assistant. If your Commissary Location was not created during your initial system setup, hover over the 'Administration' menu in the top menu ribbon and select Setup Assistant. Locate the 'Locations' step and create your Commissary Location. Once the Commissary Location exists in the system, it will need to be assigned to the respective Restaurant Locations on each Location Record. This is accomplished by selecting the Commissary Location name in the Commissary field on the General tab of the Location Record as shown below. This sets the Commissary that this Location will order from in the future.
The commissary template is setup by the Commissary Manager or an Accounting Manager and is the template used to create Commissary Orders. This is also where the Commissary can specify which Locations receive deliveries on which days. Additionally, Commissary Order Cutoff Alerts can be enabled for each Location in the Commissary Template. Click here for commissary template training
Orders get created according to the template for each location based on the schedule setup on the template. The order gives quantity advice to help the manager choose how much to order by showing expected upcoming quantity, average order quantity, and last order quantity. The manager fills out the quantities they want and submit the orders to the commissary. They can also receive cutoff warnings if desired, if their order hasn't been submitted and the cutoff is approaching. Click here for commissary order training
When a Commissary Order is fulfilled, meaning the Commissary has Shipped the product and marked the Commissary Order as fulfilled in the system, a Commissary Fulfillment transaction gets created automatically. This transaction records the inventory and financial effect of the Commissary Order. The Commissary Fulfillment shows the quantity of each item that went from the Commissary to the Location which records sales to the Commissary and cost to the Location. If the Commissary is owned by a different Legal Entity than the Location (most common) then intercompany due to/from entries will also be recorded on this transaction so you will know how much is owed to the commissary from the Location. Click here for commissary fulfillment training
The commissary can manage all orders at the same time from the mass fulfillment screen. This allows them to view a list of Commissary Orders based on filters they set such as a specific date range, for specific Locations, and for specific status' such as Open, Submitted, etc. In this screen they can see which Locations have yet to submit their order, they can print reports such as a consolidated product list and packing slips, and can also move orders along the workflow status' from Submitted - Shipped - Fulfilled. They can also update quantity fulfilled on the items they weren't able to ship in full. Click here for mass fulfillment training
Paying the Commissary
The most common way to pay the Commissary is with a Bank Transfer from the Legal Entity that owns the Restaurant Locations to the Legal Entity that owns the Commissary. When the Commissary belongs to a different Legal Entity than the Location, then the Commissary Fulfillment transaction will have intercompany due to/from entries showing what the Location owes the Commissary. Running a Trial Balance, Balance Sheet, or GL Account Detail report on those accounts will show the totals owed at any point in time. For example, if the Commissary fulfilled 20 orders to a specific Legal Entity during the month and each order was for $300 then it would see an account balance of $6,000 due to the Commissary. They could enter a Bank Transfer for that amount and that would automatically reduce the Due To balance owed down to $0. Click here for bank transfer training
There are various reports included with the Commissary Module. These reports must be added to your Commissary User's Report Role
- Consolidated Production List - the Commissary can run this report for a date range to see the consolidated quantities of items across all Commissary Orders from all Locations. It can be run from the Mass Fulfillment window or from My Reports
- Commissary Forecast - the Commissary can run this report for their selected week and using average sales the system will make a recommendation on the forecast of items needed for the coming week. It can be run from My Reports
- Packing Slip - this gives a printable list of items to be packed and delivered to a Location for their Commissary Order. It can be run for multiple orders at once from the Mass Fulfillment window, a single Commissary Order screen, or from the Commissary Order list by selecting the desired rows and choosing Edit Selected button - Print
- Commissary Order History by Location - displays past order totals by item by Location. it can be run for a desired date range and number of Locations from My Reports
- Commissary Fulfillment - this gives a printable report to show what was actually fulfilled on a Commissary Order. It can be run for multiple orders on the Mass Fulfillment window, a single Commissary Order from the Commissary Order screen or the Commissary Fulfillment screen, or by selecting multiple items in the list and choosing Edit Selected - Print from either the Commissary Order list or Fulfillment Transactions list