Inputting AP Invoices is relatively easy. This article focuses on how to create Invoices and include the Date(s) of Service if there's an Accrual for an Invoice. To create a new AP Invoice, hover over 'Vendor' on the top ribbon and click 'Invoice'. A new window will open with the name 'Unsaved AP Invoice'
1) Location - The location and legal entity should default from User settings. The User's default location will automatically appear each time a new Invoice is created for a faster input time, but this field can also be changed if needed
2) Vendor - Fill in the name of the company Vendor from which the invoice was received. The chosen Vendor will update the Details grid below
3) Invoice Number - This is the vendor's invoice number
- Note: If you are entering a large invoice, like a food invoice from your supplier, you may want to use the ‘AP Invoice Import Function’. This functionality allows the User to import a pre-defined template with your suppliers invoice details. Click on this link to access the Importing An AP Transaction tutorial.
4) Document Date - The date listed on the invoice
5) GL Date - The date the invoice posts to the General Ledger
- Note: When this date is different than the Document Date, an orange exclamation pointwill appear, bringing attention to the fact that there is a difference between the two dates
6) Document Amount - Enter the total original amount of the invoice before any discounts. Although this is not mandatory, the placement of this field allows for a quick entry along with the required fields
7) Payment Terms - These are used to specify the Terms in which a payment should be received. Changing the 'Payment Terms' is optional, but if the Vendor is setup correctly, this value will already be populated
8) Due Date - This is the date by which the payment is due. This field will auto-populate to today's date, but can easily be changed by typing in a new date or clicking the calendar icon and selecting a different date
9) Credit Expected - Any amount shorted on a given delivery. A highlighted 'Unassigned Amount' will pop up below the 'Amount' box and refers to the amount remaining to be assigned to a cost category. Refer to the Credit Expected article for more information about how to use the 'Credit Expected' field on the AP Invoice form
10) Comment - This optional field is useful for adding additional notes about a Credit Expected as well as other information to the AP Invoice, as demonstrated in the image below. Comments appear in the 'All Transactions' and 'AP Transactions' lists and can be used for sorting and filtering purposes
11) Mark as Paid - This toggle allows the User to automatically create an AP Payment. If clicked, a box will pop up that has the user select a bank account
12) Link to Asset - This toggle will link the Invoice details to specific Assets
13) Franchising - This option allows Franchisors to record and pay AP Invoices on behalf of their Franchisees. The expense can then be passed on and billed to the Franchisee. Refer to the AP Invoice: Franchising article for more information about entering Invoices on behalf of your Franchisees
AP Invoice Details
Invoice details can be entered in two different ways: Entry by Account or Entry by Item. Both ways are detailed out below.
Entry by Account (Cost Categories)
1) Account - The cost category. The system will search for all categories that include the letters typed in
2) Amount - The amount for this category
3) Comment - This is an optional field where a User can type in any brief comments associated with this line item
4) Location - The Location and Legal Entity receiving the order. This will be auto-populated with the Location from the header
5) Add / Clear Button - This will either add or clear the information from the line. If added, the line will appear in the grid
Continue to add cost categories until the Unassigned Amount from the header is balanced. When finished, select the 'Save & New' button to enter another invoice or 'Save & Close' to exit the screen.
- Note: As a helpful hint, ask your vendors to summarize their invoices at the bottom by category. They are often very willing to do this and it will speed up data entry for you
Entry by Item
1) Item - An item from the Invoice. The system will search for all items that include the letters you typed in
2) Vendor Item - This field will be pre-populated based on the set-up information for this item
3) U of M - This field will be pre-populated based on the set-up information for this item
4) Quantity - The Quantity for this item
5) Each Amount - This field will be pre-populated based on the set-up information for this item
6) Total - The generated amount from the Quantity entry (Quantity x Each Amount)
7) Account - This field will be pre-populated based on the set-up information for this item
8) Location - The Location and Legal Entity receiving the order. This will be auto-populated with the Location from the header
9) Add / Clear Button - This will either add or clear the information from the line. If added, the line will appear in the grid
Continue to add items until the Unassigned Amount from the header is balanced. When finished, select the 'Save & New' button to enter another invoice or 'Save & Close' to exit the screen.
User Preferences - Default Location
By setting up User Preferences, a User can select a default Location to auto-populate the Location field each time a new AP Invoice is created.
To set a Default Location, hover over your Username in the right corner of the top ribbon and click 'User Preferences'. A new window will open with the default options available for this feature.
1) Blank - The Location field will remain empty
2) Select Location - The User is able to choose any of the Locations available to him/her from the User record. If a Location is no longer accessible to a User, then the default will update to the 'Blank' option
3) Use the same location as the previous transaction - The Location displays the previous transaction Location only after the Location is filled in for the first entry and all entries are saved as either 'Save and New' or 'Approve and New'. Once a User does not save using one of these two options, the next invoice will reset the Location field for the proceeding invoices
4) Default from user record - The default value assigned on the User record is used
After selecting a Default Location option, click 'Save and Close'.
This tab allows a User to record expenses in the right period even though the Dates of Service expands over multiple months. Unlike Spreading, the Accrual Tab is informational only and will assist a User in reviewing the necessary information to make decisions on month end accrual entries. These dates can also be updated after the document has been Approved.
When reviewing 'Transaction Details' list, two postings will be made to their GL Accounts with their Start Date and End Dates posted in their respective date columns (these columns will display by default in the User's R365 view). These transactions can then be exported and used to calculate a User's Accrual.